At long last, bright April days are here and summer is on its way. It’s a great time to be planting, caring for your lawn and tidying up outside. Whatever space you have, we’ve got some great outdoor furniture that all the family will love.
Things you can do now:
- Keep weeds under control by using weed killer on patios and running a hoe through beds and borders.
- Tie in climbing roses, clematis and honeysuckle.
- Sow hardy annuals and herb seeds directly into pots or beds.
- Give your house plants more water.
- Lift and divide perennials.
- Recut the edges of your lawn to straighten them up and install lawn edging to make future maintenance easier.
- Check tree ties to make sure they’re not cutting into the trunk and where necessary, loosen tight ties to allow room for growth.
- Keep an eye on seedlings and as soon as they start growing leaves, ‘pot on’ to individual pots.
- Look out for signs of pests and disease – the sooner you catch them, the easier they are to eradicate.
- Start sowing tomato seeds – but protect them from frost.
Garden centre plant festival – April
Marvel at magnolias in your garden this spring
If you want some show stopping flowers to enjoy this spring, you’ll love our beautiful magnolias. With their goblet or star-shaped flowers, magnolia trees and shrubs rank among most people’s favourite plants and they have a gorgeous fragrance too. At Homebase we have four varieties to choose from in pretty pinks, whites and purples. They thrive in any moist, fertile garden soil and will grow and flower best if you plant them in full sun. They’re suited to beds and containers – though you’ll often see magnolias growing up a wall.
April plant of the month
Rhododendrons and azaleas, spectacular clusters of spring flowers that will give structure and a burst of colour to most gardens.
How to plan and design an edible garden
With a little careful planning you can grow your own crops to harvest and eat throughout the year. Here are some helpful ideas and tips to get you started.
How to create a herb garden
No matter how much space you have, you can create a fabulous herb garden and always have tasty herbs on hand – read our project page to find out how.
Expert lawn advice for April
Read our blog on how to care for your lawn like an expert this month.
How to create a new lawn from turf
Spring is a great time to lay turf because the grass will easily take root and nature should help with the watering. Find out how to lay your new lawn here.
Garden furniture and accessories buying guide
Whether you’re relaxing in the garden or dining al fresco, find the perfect garden furniture to suit your needs.
Outdoor heating buying guide
Enjoy your garden for longer with our outdoor heating ideas.