Over 35,000 products
For your home and garden
Next and named day
Click & Collect
Ready within 1 hour
Over 150 stores
Open 7 days a week
Gas appliances, such as cookers, boilers and fires should be checked annually, to ensure they’re working safely and efficiently, by a Gas Safe registered engineer.
Gas Safe Register is the official list of gas engineers who are legally qualified to work on gas appliances. If your gas engineer is not on the Gas Safe Register, they are working illegally, and Gas Safe Register’s investigations team has found that two thirds (66%) of illegal gas jobs in the UK leave appliances unsafe.
It’s important to know your gas appliances are working safely as unsafe cookers, boilers or fireplaces could leak carbon monoxide gas which is poisonous, or spark a fire. You can’t see, taste or smell carbon monoxide – it’s known as the ‘silent killer’ so checking gas appliances regularly should be your first line of defence. You can also buy carbon monoxide alarms to place near your gas appliances which can detect carbon monoxide and sound an audible alarm.
Jonathan Samuel, chief executive of Gas Safe Register, said: “The data from our Investigations Team highlights the dangers of illegal gas work and how threatening this can be to your families. Don’t cut corners and always check you are using a Gas Safe registered engineer so you can have peace of mind that your engineer is legally qualified to work in your home.
“To check your engineer is on the Gas Safe Register, visit GasSafeRegister.co.uk, and always ask to see their Gas Safe ID card when they arrive at your home.”
• Know the symptoms of CO poisoning; headaches, nausea, breathlessness, collapse, dizziness and loss of consciousness.
• If you smell gas or think there might be a gas leak, call the free 24-hour national gas emergency number immediately on 0800 111 999.
• Never attempt to work on a gas appliance yourself, always seek the help of a qualified Gas Safe registered engineer who can work on your gas cooker, boiler or fire in a safe way.
• Only employ a suitably qualified Gas Safe registered engineer when having gas work carried out in your home. Gas Safe Register is the official register for legally qualified engineers.
• Gas appliances should be safety checked every year and serviced regularly by a Gas Safe registered engineer.
To find a Gas Safe registered engineer in your area, visit GasSafeRegister.co.uk or call 0800 408 5500.
Sign up to our newsletter to receive all our latest promotions, inspiration and advice