Difficulty rating: Low
This task should be fairly straightforward regardless of your gardening experience.
There are many advantages to growing in hanging baskets - especially if you have a smaller garden or you would like to brighten up a doorway, wall or patio. Not least, it can mean a complete re-invention of your chosen space every time you plant.
Step 1: Select a hanging basket type
There are 3 different types of hanging basket to choose from:
These look great and have a plastic liner which is great for water retention.
Great for insulation, helping to protect your plants from strong winds and sunshine.
A traditional design that allows for planting in both the top and sides of the basket.
- For the best results, ensure that the plant size suits your basket of choice. Good trailing plants are: Petunia Surfina, trailing Fuchsia and Lobelias. For colour add Nemesia and Pansies along with Fuchsias and Geranium.
- Remove dead flower heads. Not only does it make your basket look tidier, it encourages more flowers.
- Remember that you don't have to plant flowers in your hanging basket. Strawberries and tomatoes grow extremely well in hanging baskets and are easy to pick.
- Generally the basket should be watered once or twice a day, but on hot, dry days water the basket early and hang it in the shade. On cold days, wait until it warms up before watering.
- Ensure your hanging basket bracket is strong enough to hold the weight of a watered basket.
Hanging baskets will bring visual interest and colour to your garden walls and they’re perfect for framing your doorways with beautiful flowers throughout the spring and summer. Regular watering and feeding will help you to produce a stunning floral display with your baskets and with a great selection of winter hanging basket plants to choose from it’s easy to keep your garden full of greenery throughout the year.
If you want to create your own hanging baskets, you’ll find everything you need at Homebase from compost and fertiliser to flowers, fruit and trailing foliage plants. Or, for a quick and easy solution, you’ll love our pre-planted hanging baskets.
Take a look at our range of hanging baskets and accessories below or visit your local Homebase store.