Step 5. Laying down the paving slabs
- Before you lay your slabs, check with a builder's square that the string guide lines are square to the house. If not, adjust the guide lines.
- Lay down the first slab against the house at the corner, checking its alignment with the string guideline. It's important that the first slab is positioned accurately.
- Gently tap the slab to the correct level with a club hammer. Use a block of wood to protect the slab.
- Check the alignment of the slab with a spirit level but allow for the slope away from the house.
- Carry on until you've laid all the paving slabs. Do a final check to make sure they're all level.
Buy all your paving slabs at the same time so you don't get variations in colour and texture.
Step 8. Maintaining your patio
- If you want to seal the patio to stop water seepage or fading, check the manufacturer's recommendations. Applying a sealant to paving may affect the colour.
- If the patio freezes, using salt could damage the surface. Instead get rid of snow and ice with a plastic shovel or stiff brush.
- Every three months it's worth checking for loose or damaged slabs and making sure the pointing is intact.
- Look for stains such as alcohol, barbecue fat, chewing gum or bird droppings. Give the stains an intensive cleaning treatment (always follow manufacturer's instructions).
Have you got a pressure washer? Use it on a low setting for cleaning your patio. Point it at an angle facing away from the slabs. Don't use it too hard or too close to the slabs or you'll damage the surface of your paving.
A Patio can make a stylish focal point for your garden, especially if you incorporate circle paving slabs into your patio design. It’s also an ideal space for all the family to enjoy outdoor dining and sizzling Summer BBQs, or snuggling up together around the chimenea on colder Autumn nights.
Building your patio couldn’t be easier with our range of patio kits – from circular or square slabs to block paving and garden stepping stones, you’ll find everything you need to create a stunning outdoor living space at Homebase.
Why not add a comfortable seating area to your patio with our range of garden furniture? Or for finishing touches, take a look at our range of awnings, garden pots and plants. For the ultimate low maintenance garden, why not combine your patio with an artificial grass lawn? Discover how to create a new lawn from artificial grass here.
Was this guide useful?