What material should I choose for my furniture?
Our outdoor furniture products come in a wide range of materials all of which have their own benefits to consider. Choose from traditional wood, stylish metal, luxurious rattan or innovative Duraboard.
- Rattan is medium in weight and easy to clean. Although rattan is a low maintenance option, anti-rust solutions are advised for steel frames. We advise covering when not in use and storing away in winter
- Wooden garden furniture is heavy in weight and long-lasting. Annual re-staining is required. Cover when not in use and store away in winter.
- Metal (aluminium) is light-weight and rust proof. We advise covering when not in use.
- Metal (other) is medium in weight and long-lasting, however anti-rust solutions are advised. We advise covering when not in use and storing away in winter.
- Duraboard® is light-weight, easy to clean, weather resistant and generally very low maintenance.
Made from high quality resin, rattan garden furniture is a very versatile choice for a furniture set and it's equally at home placed in a garden or a conservatory. There are 2 main types of rattan garden furniture available:
- Flat weave - a more modern looking affordable option.
- Round/half round weave - a more traditional, luxurious look and feel.
Both types are available in a variety of designs and colours, so you're sure to find a style that suits your needs. Rattan also is weather resistant which makes it resilient against rain and UV damage and as a result the colour will not fade. All of our synthetic rattan is hand-woven and comes with either steel or rust proof aluminium frames.
Whether it's a traditional looking garden bench placed on your lawn, or a beautiful dining set, wooden garden furniture will bring a timeless, traditional look to your garden. Homebase wooden furniture is made from either eucalyptus or teak. Both are tropical hardwoods that are perfect for making garden furniture as they produce natural oils that will help protect them against the elements, insects and rot.
Choosing a wooden furniture set gives you the freedom to decide how your furniture will look as it ages. You have a few options for how to treat your furniture:
- Allow the elements to age it naturally.
- Treat it with oils to keep it looking fresh.
- Paint it to express your own individuality.
All the wood used in our garden furniture is certified by the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) so you know it comes from forests which are managed to achieve environmental, social and economic benefits.
Furniture made of metal is both durable and modern. There are plenty of different styles available, from those that can be folded away, to sophisticated glass-topped tables and comfortable reclining chairs – you can even get some types in a variety of different colours.
Metal furniture is easy to keep clean and maintain – for example, any scratches that appear on steel furniture can be easily treated with a sealant to prevent moisture from seeping in that could otherwise cause rust.
Aluminium garden furniture is a little more expensive to buy, but it's lighter which makes it easier to move around and pack away. It's also naturally rust resistant, meaning it's even easier to care for and will last you for many years to come.
Complete your outside space with garden furniture accessories
There's nothing quite like spending time in the garden, but being outside doesn't mean you can't be as comfortable as you would be inside. We've got a wide range of brilliant accessories that will help you enjoy your garden for longer, whatever the weather and time of day.
A parasol is the perfect way to keep cool on a hot summer's day. Many of our garden furniture sets come with a matching parasol and base, either included as part of the set or available separately. We also have a great range of freestanding parasols to help throw a little shade on your favourite spot in the garden for those times when the sun gets just a little bit too hot.
If you're spending a lot of time in the garden, outdoor cushions will take you to a new level of comfort. We've got a wide range of cushions in a variety of colours and styles, from seat backs and pads for existing garden furniture sets, to cushions designed for sun loungers and benches. They're all specially treated to be fire resistant, immune to the fading effects of sunlight, and while they're more water resistant than regular cushions you'll still want to take them inside when it rains.
Once you've bought your beautiful new garden furniture set you'll want to keep it looking its best for years to come. If you're not able to store it inside during bad weather or the winter months, why not get a cover to keep it safely under wraps? We've got a wide range of covers suitable for all our garden furniture sets. There are 2 types to choose from:
- Standard covers: These are made from 100% polyethylene and are a completely water resistant.
- Premium covers: Like the standard covers, our premium ones are also made of 100% polyethylene, but with the addition of a PVC backing for added protection. They also feature tapered seams for improved water resistance, breathable sections to allow any trapped moisture to escape, and come with a handy carry bag to store them in when the sun is shining.
Was this guide useful?