Brightly blooming clematis
Colourful, eye-catching and rambling, Clematis plants are a delightful addition to every garden. With large bold blooms as well as smaller more delicate bells a clematis plant will complement a variety of outdoor spaces. The plant grows freely and will love the support of a trellis or fence but is equally at home rambling through shrubs to create bursts of colour and bring added coverage throughout borders.
Sunny spots are ideal for this bright-light loving plant yet there are varieties that flourish in semi-shaded areas; look out for alabast – a white flowering clematis that’s fond of a shadier spot. As warm weather lovers, your clematis will flower throughout the summer months. If you’d like something that keeps flowering for longer seek out the viticella as it blooms well into the autumn.
Clematis plants are often climbers but there are lower growing varieties that work well in borders. If you’d like to add a colour to your patio or a smaller outdoor space, plant your clematis in a pot where it will also thrive. Try growing the plant with roses and honeysuckle for a display that will offer long-lasting interest.
Grow clematis alongside these plants to create an interesting display:
- Golden Hop
- Golden Jasmine
- Solanum crispum ‘Glasnevin’
Shrubs that work well with clematis include:
- Conifers including yew and junipers
- Japanese maples
We have fresh and new varieties of plants delivered 5 times a week in store - find your nearest one with our store locator.
- Clematis plants generally like to keep their heads in the sun and their feet in the shade so keep that in mind when you’re choosing a spot for your plant.
- Keep the roots of your plant moist by spreading mulch or bark over the soil after planting.
- Summer-flowering clematis like to be planted with the top of the root ball sitting around 7-10cm below the surface. Bury the base of the stems with soil.