There are plenty of jobs to keep you busy in the garden during October so take a look at our handy tips on planting and maintaining your lawn. This month we’ve also included advice on everything from encouraging birds and hedgehogs into your garden, replacing the felt on your shed roof and creating additional outdoor storage.
Things you can do now:
Watch our Garden Diary for October
- Trim hedges before the weather turns
- Keep harvesting root vegetables and fruits
- Prune back raspberry and blackberry canes
- Plant tulip bulbs in pots and borders
- Pot up tender perennials and bring under cover
- Pick green tomatoes and bring indoors to ripen
- Plant autumn garlic and onion sets
- Collect fallen leaves for leaf mould
- Give your lawn a last cut before winter
- Divide large congested clumps of rhubarb
- The surplus clumps will thrive in a mixed border
How to plant bulbs ready for spring
Help your garden spring to life by following these easy steps to growing springtime bulbs.
Expert lawn advice for October
Read our blog on how to care for your lawn like an expert this month.
How to maintain your lawn in autumn
As the days get cooler & shorter it's the perfect time to prepare your lawn for the following season.
Refresh your shed roof
Keep your shed looking great and in the best condition by following this guide to replacing the felt on its roof.