Help & advice: How to fit curtain tracks and poles
How to fit curtain tracks and poles
Discover the right way to install curtain tracks and poles with our step-by-step guide.
Revamp your windows with stylish curtains, blinds and fitting accessories from Homebase.
- Before choosing a curtain track, you'll need to measure the window space.
- Now measure the track - remember that it must be wider than your window space.
- Measure the required length of the track and mark with a pencil, but don't cut it yet.
- Now mark up the position of the screw holes for the support brackets that came with your track. This will be above your window space.
- The brackets should be 25mm in from each end of the track and at least 50mm above the window recess.
- You may need to fit extra brackets. It just depends on the length of the track.
- Drill your hole, fit the wall plugs and attach the brackets.
- Double-check that the length of the track is correct. Then cut it to length with a junior hacksaw.
- Clean the rough edges with sandpaper. Then fit the track to the brackets.
- Finally, attach the end stops and fit the curtains.
- The process is very similar for curtain poles. But the brackets should be at least 50mm from the end of the pole.
- When fitting the pole into the bracket, make sure you have a curtain ring between the bracket and the end finial. This will help keep the end of the curtain in place.