Help & advice: Project area
Designing your new kitchen is great fun – and we can make it simple too.
Using our kitchen planner will help you get those ideas flowing. Then for extra advice and inspiration, arrange a free appointment with our in-store design team. They’ll work side by side with you to create a kitchen you’ll adore. For smaller kitchen projects, see our How To guides for practical hints and tips
- How to install a dishwasher or washing machine
- How to replace a hand basin or bath
- How to paint walls
- How to hang wallpaper
- How to repair a wall or ceiling
- How to fit an extractor fan
- How to choose and fit sliding doors
- How to hang an internal door
- How to lay laminate flooring
- How to fit coving and skirting boards
- How to replace a worktop
- How to lay vinyl or carpet floor tiles
- How to lay ceramic floor tiles
- How to fit blinds
- How to fit wall tiles
- How to plumb yourself out of trouble
- How to replace and maintain a radiator
- Kitchens buying guide
- Taps buying guide
- Dishwashers buying guide
- Fridge freezers buying guide
- Microwaves buying guide
- Ovens buying guide
- Washing machines buying guide
- Tumble dryers buying guide
- Vacuum cleaners buying guide
- Flooring buying guide
- Tiling buying guide
- Energy saving appliances buying guide
Plan and design your new kitchen with our online kitchen planner.
Calculate the amount of flooring you will require for your next project.
Calculate the number of rolls of wallpaper you will require for your next project.
Calculate the amount of tiles you will require for your next project.
Calculate the number of litres of paint you will require to paint your walls and ceiling.
- What is the difference between standard emulsion and
Homebase Duracoat is wipeable which can be useful with children. It is also more harder wearing than standard emulsion.
- How much wall does a 2.5 litre cover?
A 2.5 Litre tin of paint will cover up to 32 square metres of wall.
- What is a dehumidifier?
A dehumidifier removes trapped moisture in homes, and aids drying time of wallpapering and painting.
- What is Dulux Light & Space?
Dulux Light & Space reflects twice as much light compared to standard emulsions and thus making your room feel more spacious.
- What would you use on bare wood before applying gloss paint?
If you want a gloss effect, it is best to prepare bare wood before painting. Apply a wood primer to the bare wood then apply an undercoat and its ready to gloss.
- What is the difference in the paint finishes of matt, silk and soft sheen?
Matt paint has a flat texture, silk has a glossy shiny appearance and soft sheen is a mixture of both.
- What tile adhesive would you use in a kitchen or bathroom?
Due to the build up of condensation in a kitchen or bathroom waterproof adhesive needs to be used when tiling these rooms.
- Can the hob go against the side of a wall?
No, there has to be a minimum of 300mm each side required.
- I don’t like the white on the edge of the cabinets? Can I get a cabinet in wood colour instead?
We now have a range of units that are wood effect and for those that
don’t we have an iron on strip that can be applied very easily.
- Are the wooden kitchen unit doors solid?
We have one kitchen range that has a solid wood door this is the Malvern kitchen range. All other doors have a solid wood outer frame and a veneered plywood centre panel.
- Can I buy any cutlery tray to go in my premium drawer unit?
You can but to get a good fit it needs to be the specific premium drawer tray.
- Do you need an end panel for the display units?
The display units come with colour matched sides, however if you wish to match the units fully you can opt for a tall end panel cut down so there is no need to buy an end panel.
- Can I have units above an American fridge freezer?
It depends on which model of fridge freezer you want to put units above. Ideally you need to have a larder unit either side of the fridge freezer as you need to bring the bridging unit forward & fix it to the larder units. Larder units are 2118mm high, the bridging unit is 350 high - therefore leaving 1768mm for the appliance. The only american fridge freezer therefore that would fit within this is the Samsung RSG5 DURS which is 1758mm high. However, you also need to allow for the doors of the appliances opening - some of them swing out so you have to allow for the hinges in them on either side.
- Do gloss worktops scratch more than textured worktops?
Gloss and laminate work tops are equally vulnerable to scratches. Due to the high gloss finish on gloss worktops, these scratches may be more visible than on textured worktops.
- Can I buy granite worktop on its own or do I have to buy the whole kitchen from you?
We supply granite worktops on their own, you can have them fitted to an existing kitchen.
- What size waste fittings would be used for a kitchen sink?
The waste needed for a kitchen sink is 40mm.
- Can you use plastic 20mm pipe and fittings for cold and hot water systems?
Yes, a plastic 20mm pipe can be used for fitting cold and hot water systems.