Help & advice: Project area
Flooring, tiling & decorating
Rolling up your sleeves to refresh your home? We’ll give you a hand…
With our helpful How To guides decorating your home is nice and easy. Fitting tiles, laying flooring – our online advice even makes hanging wallpaper hassle-free! And our tiling and flooring calculators will help you buy just the right amount of materials.
Calculate the amount of flooring you will require for your next project.
Calculate the number of rolls of wallpaper you will require for your next project.
Calculate the amount of tiles you will require for your next project.
Calculate the number of litres of paint you will require to paint your walls and ceiling.
Choose from over 70 flooring solutions in our latest brochure.
Over 350 choices of wall and floor tiling in our latest brochure.
- What is the difference between standard emulsion and Homebase Duracoat?
Homebase Duracoat is wipeable which can be useful with children. It is also harder wearing than standard emulsion.
- How much wall does a 2.5 litre cover?
A 2.5 Litre tin of paint will cover up to 32 square metres of wall.
- What is a dehumidifier?
A dehumidifier removes trapped moisture in homes, and aids drying time of wallpapering and painting.
- What is Dulux “Light & Space?”
Dulux “Light & Space” reflect twice as much light compared to standard emulsions and thus making your room feel more spacious.
- What would you use on bare wood before applying gloss paint?
If you want a gloss effect, it is best to prepare bare wood before painting. Apply a wood primer to the bare wood hen apply an undercoat and it ready to gloss.
- What is the difference in the paint finishes of matt, silk and soft sheen?
Matt paint has a flat texture, Silk has a glossy shiny appearance and soft sheen is a
mixture of both.
- What tile adhesive would you use in a kitchen or bathroom?
Due to the build up of condensation in a kitchen or bathroom waterproof adhesive needs to be used when tiling these rooms.
- What do you need to put in-between the tiles to make sure the gaps are even?
Tile spacers will make sure that the tiles have the same space in-between them.
- Can you tile on chipboard or hardboard?
No, it is not possible to tile on chipboard or hard board as the adhesive will not stick.
- What is a mosaic tile?
A mosaic tile is a tiles made up of smaller squares.
- Why would you use a vapour barrier?
The vapour barrier will help stop the build up of condensation under the floor. It should be used under solid, real wood top layer, or laminate flooring if laid on concrete.
- Can you lay laminate flooring on floorboards?
Yes, but make sure that floorboards are firmly screwed down and flatten all nails with a hammer. Fibreboard underlay should be used.
- What tools will I need to lay laminate flooring?
The basic tools you will need are a saw, tape measure, floor laying kit and a hammer.
- Do you provide samples?
Yes, we sell laminates and solid wood in single planks.
- How can I make sure of a great finish?
To achieve a better finish use matching edging strips and door strips, this will keep the flooring coordinated.
- What are the different types of flooring we sell?
We sell laminate, real wood top layer and real wood flooring.