Gardening & outdoor living
Frequently asked questions
- What are the best tools to use when applying timber treatment?
There are 3 types of applicators for applying timber treatment: - rollers, sprayers and application pads. These are all be used for different types of timber structures such decking, fencing and sheds.
- What would happen if you used interior varnish outside?
This is not the best solution. Unfortunately, the varnish will peel and deteriorate due to moisture in the air outside.
- What do you use on garden furniture to protect it against the elements?
Furniture oil is the best protectant to use for garden furniture.
- What do we sell to conceal scratches on wood?
Liquid scratch cover and wax repair sticks will help to conceal scratches.
- Is there special oil for wooden worktops and what is it called?
There are different brands of oil that can be used on wooden worktops. We stock many different worktop oils to help you maintain your wooden worktop. Linseed oil can also be used.
- What is a wood wash?
Wood wash is a soft colour wash that allows the wood grain to show through. This can create a very different decorative feature and also protects bare wood.
- What does diamond hard mean on varnishes?
Diamond hard varnishes are superior varnishes that are resistant to scratches, heat and water.
- What would happen if you placed an indoor plant outside?
We stock a wide range of indoor and outdoor plants. These are sourced from different plants from all around the world to give you variety. As a result, these plants originate from places that have very different climates. When you buy a Homebase plant it is best to follow the instructions that come with it. Most indoor plants remain indoor as they have come from a warmer climate, if outside they would die due to the cold.
- How often do you feed indoor plants?
You should feed your indoor plants during the growing season only, which is from early spring to late summer.
- What chemical would you use to kill weeds on your lawn?
There are many different weed killers that we have in store and available to buy online. It is best to purchase a weed killer that kills the weeds but doesn't harm the grass.You can also use triple action lawn products such as evergreen complete.
- Which types of lawn mowers do Homebase sell?
Online and in store, we stock a wide range of lawnmowers. These include rotary and hover mowers, petrol, cylinder and ride on mowers. Check out our lawnmower buying guide for further information.
- What would you use plant protection fleece for?
Plant protection fleece helps protection more delicate plants against frost and wind.
- What would you use bark chips for?
Bark can provide a decorative look for your garden, it also help control weeds and retains moisture.