Help & advice: Project area
Electrical, heating & plumbing
A big electrical appliance is an important purchase – here’s how to get it right.
See our huge collection of Buying guides for wise advice on choosing the best appliance for your home – from fridge-freezers and washing machines to dishwashers and desk fans. And our How To guides explain the stress-free way to install, whether you're replacing a sink or upgrading a wall socket.
- How to install a dishwasher or washing machine
- How to install and repair a toilet
- How to install an outdoor tap
- How to replace a hand basin or bath
- How to plumb yourself out of trouble
- How to replace and maintain a radiator
- How to protect your home
- How to install a pendant light
- How to move or add a ceiling light
- How to upgrade a wall socket
- How to replace a light switch
- How to install outdoor lighting
- How to replace a fire surround
- Air conditioning buying guide
- Air purifiers buying guide
- Dehumidifiers buying guide
- Dishwashers buying guide
- Fans and air coolers buying guide
- Fires & surrounds buying guide
- Fridge freezers buying guide
- Heaters buying guide
- Microwaves buying guide
- Ovens buying guide
- Washing machines buying guide
- Tumble Dryers buying guide
- Vacuum cleaners buying guide
- Energy efficient appliances buying guide
- Loft insulation buying guide
- Light bulbs buying guide
- Energy saving lighting buying guide
Discover our range of fires and surrounds in our latest brochure.
Over 170 designer raditors and heated towl rails.
- What is a dehumidifier?
A dehumidifier removes trapped moisture in homes, and aids drying time of wallpapering and painting.
- What types of time switches do you sell?
We sell electronic, digital, 24hr segment, 25hr tappet time switches.
- What different types of cable trunking do you sell?
We sell a variety of cable management solutions allowing multiple cables to be neatly and safely managed. The different types of that we stock are self adhesive conduit, quarter sphere conduit and D-line trunking
- What size cable do you need for lighting circuits?
For lighting circuits use 1mm and 1.5mm size cable 50.
- What does PIR means in the alarm section?
PIR means Passive Infra Red sensor
- What is a fire blanket used for?
A fire blanket is used to extinguish kitchen and clothing fires.
- What is the minimum British Standard Kite mark for locks?
Locks need to have a minimum of 5 lever security, this is the standard needed for insurance policies.
- What is Carbon Monoxide?
A colourless, odourless, tasteless toxic gas produced by fuel burning appliances or vehicle engines.
- What size waste fittings would be used for a kitchen sink?
The waste needed for a kitchen sink is 40mm.
- Can you use plastic 20mm pipe and fittings for cold and hot water systems?
Yes, a plastic 20mm pipe can be used for fitting cold and hot water systems.
- What are the benefits of energy saving light bulbs?
Uses 80% less energy, saves over £9.00 per year off electricity bill
- What’s the difference between clear and soft light bulbs?
Soft bulbs are opaque and give a soft glow whereas clear bulbs shine brightly.
- What are the three zones indicated on the bathroom lights?
0 – must be water tight.
1+2 – Min IP rating of IP44 and wired to a 30MA protected circuit.
3+ No special requirements
- Why does it state a maximum wattage on light fittings?
The maximum wattage is stated on light fittings so you do not exceed this limit.
- What are the different thicknesses of loft insulation?
The insulation that we stock comes in two thicknesses - 100mm and 270mm
- How long does an energy saving light bulb last?
An energy saving light bulb last eight years
- How many litres of water does a water butt hold?
The maximum quantity that a Homebase water butt can hold is 22L.
- What would be the most efficient batteries you can purchase?
The most efficient batteries to buy are rechargeable.
- How many different types of composters do you sell?
We sell 6 different types of composters to help you with composting your household and garden waste.
- Do Homebase sell recycle bins?
Yes, we do. We sell a wide range of recycle bins in all shapes and sizes to fit in with your lifestyle.
- What is the recommended depth of insulation, and who
The recommended depth of insulation is 270mm and this is set by the UK Building Regulations.
- Explain how an energy saving light bulb works compared to a standard light bulb?
An energy saving bulb has a lower wattage and uses up to 80% less energy than standard bulb.
- What does KW mean on heaters and fires?
This means Kilowatt which is measures the heat output.
- What is a radiator valve? And where in store would you find one?
A radiator valve regulates the heat output and is found in the plumbing at the side of the radiator
- What is fire cement?
Fire cement is heat resistant therefore the best to use when fitting a new fire surround or maintaining an existing fire.
- Do you sell fire surrounds separately?
Yes we do sell the surrounds for a fireplace separately – see brochure for full details