Preparation: 25 mins
Cooking: 1 hour
- 4 egg whites
- 250g caster sugar
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp cornflour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 500g strawberries, hulled and halved
- 350ml double cream
1. Heat oven to 150°C fan / 130°C gas.
2. Using a pencil, draw around the circumference of a dinner plate onto baking parchment.
3. Whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks, then whisk in the sugar 1 tsp at a time until the meringue looks glossy. Whisk in the vinegar, cornflour and vanilla extract.
4. Spread the meringue onto the baking parchment (keeping within the circle outline), creating a crater by making the sides higher than the middle.
5. Bake for 1 hour, then turn off the heat and let the meringue cool completely within the oven.
6. Whip the cream and spread over the meringue, top with the halved strawberries.
Was this guide useful?