Sprouts with Pancetta Chestnuts and Red Onions
Prep time: 5 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
- 1kg sprouts, trimmed and prepared
- 100g pancetta, cubed
- 200g chestnuts, vacuum-packed or tinned
- 150g bacon, cut into small slices
- 50g butter
1. Cook the sprouts in boiling water for 5 minutes, then drain before running under cold water and draining again.
2. Cut the bacon into small pieces then cook them in a frying pan over medium heat.
3. Heat a knob of butter in a large frying pan, add the pancetta and gently fry for 5-6 minutes until crisp.
4. Leaving the fat behind, tip out of the pan and add the chestnuts, cooking for a few minutes until warm and starting to tinge. Tip out of the pan.
5. Add the sprouts to the pan with a splash of water, then cover and finish cooking over a medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring now and again, until just tender.
6. Uncover, turn up the heat and add most of the butter and sauté the sprouts for 2 minutes more.
7. Tip in the bacon and chestnuts, season generously with salt and pepper, then serve with the last knob of butter on top.