Sprouts with pancetta, chestnuts & red onions
A great way to make sprouts a bit more exciting and appealing to even the biggest sprout haters.
Preparation: 5 mins
Cooking: 20 mins
- 1kg sprouts trimmed and prepared
- 100g pancetta, cubed
- 200g chestnuts vacuum-packed or tinned
- 50g butter
1. Cook the sprouts in boiling water for 5 minutes, then drain before running under cold water and draining again.
2. Heat a knob of butter in a large frying pan, add the pancetta and gently fry for 5-6 minutes until crisp. Leaving the fat behind, tip out of the pan and add the chestnuts, cooking for a few minutes until warm and starting to tinge. Tip out of the pan.
3. Add the sprouts to the pan with a splash of water, then cover and finish cooking over a medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring now and again, until just tender.
4. Uncover, turn up the heat and add most of the butter and sauté the sprouts for 2 minutes more. Tip in the bacon and chestnuts, season generously with salt and pepper, then serve with the last knob of butter on top.
Was this guide useful?