Lemon drizzle cake
A light, zesty and easy-to-make cake. Serve it to mum with a cup of tea while she puts her feet up.
Preparation: 15 mins
Cooking: 45 mins
For the cake:
- 225g unsalted butter, softened
- 225g caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 225g self-raising flour
For the drizzle:
- Juice 1½ lemons
- 85g caster sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas 4.
2. Beat together the butter and sugar until pale and creamy, then add 4 eggs, one at a time, slowly mixing through.
3. Sift in the flour, then add the finely grated zest of 1 lemon, mixing until well combined.
4. Line a loaf tin with greaseproof paper, then spoon in the mixture.
5. Bake for 45-50mins until you can insert a skewer and it comes out clean.
6. While the cake is cooling in its tin, mix together the lemon juice and sugar to make the drizzle. Prick the warm cake all over, then pour over the drizzle – the juice will sink in and the sugar will form a lovely, crisp topping.
7. Leave in the tin until completely cool, then remove and serve.
Was this guide useful?