Hot cross bun bread & butter pudding
The perfect dessert for those leftover buns. Rich and hearty, it's delicious after a family roast and can be cooked at the same time.
Preparation: 30 mins
Cooking: 30 mins - 1hr
- 6 egg yolks
- 2 eggs
- 150g caster sugar
- 300ml whole milk
- 300ml double cream
- 1 vanilla pod, split, seeds scraped out
- 75g butter
- 8 hot cross buns, halved
- 25g sultanas
- 25g raisins
- 25g demerara sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas 4.
2. To make the custard: whisk the egg yolks, whole eggs and sugar together in a bowl.
3. Place the milk, cream, vanilla pod and seeds into a pan over a low heat and slowly bring to a simmer. Remove from the heat and take out the pod, before pouring onto the egg mixture and whisking well.
4. Butter the hot cross buns, cut into quarters, then place a layer of them into a deep ovenproof dish, before sprinkling with the dried fruits and demerara sugar.
5. Alternate layers of buns and fruit, finishing with a top layer of buns.
6. Pour the custard all over and leave to stand for 20 minutes.
7. Place the dish into a bain-marie covering with foil, and bake for 20-30 minutes, or until the custard has set. Remove the foil for the final five minutes of cooking to brown the top.
8. Serve hot or cold with cream or vanilla ice cream.
Was this guide useful?