A moist and spicy cake that's perfect for sharing with friends.
Preparation: 20 mins
Cooking: 40-45 mins
For the cake:
- 175g light muscovado sugar
- 175ml sunflower oil
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 carrots, grated
- 100g raisins
- Grated zest of 1 large orange
- 175g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp grated nutmeg
For the icing:
- 175g icing sugar
- 1½-2 tbsp orange juice
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas 4.
2. Oil and line the base and sides of a cake tin with baking parchment.
3. Tip the sugar into a large mixing bowl, pour in the oil and eggs, then lightly mix with a wooden spoon. Stir in the grated carrots, raisins and orange rind.
4. Mix the flour, bicarbonate of soda and spices, then sift into the bowl before lightly mixing all the ingredients, until evenly combined.
5. Pour the mixture into the tin and bake for 40-45 minutes, until the cake feels firm and springy when you press the centre. Cool in the tin for 5 minutes, then turn it out, peel off the paper and cool on a wire rack.
6. Beat together the icing ingredients in a small bowl until smooth, then drizzle on the top of the cake.
Was this guide useful?