Brazilian cachaca chicken kebabs
- 20g fresh mint, leaves picked (plus extra to serve)
- 250ml lime juice
- 1 lime, zested
- 125ml cachaça (Brazilian spirit, made for distilled sugar cane)
- 2 long red chillies, finely chopped
- 1 heaped tbsp soft brown sugar
- 60ml olive oil
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 kg chicken breast, trimmed skinned, cut into 3 cm pieces
If you do not have a kebab set 8 x 2O skewers will do. If you’re using wood skewers, soaking them in water for one hour prior to cooking will help keep them intact.
Marinating time: Overnight
1. Finely chop ½ the mint and place in a mixing bowl. Add lime juice, zest, cachaça, chillies, sugar, oil, cayenne, salt and pepper then stir.
2. Pour ⅓ of the marinade into a small sauce pan and reduce it by half until it has turned into syrup. This will be used to baste the chicken kebabs once they are cooked.
3. Add the chicken into the mixing bowl and stir allowing all the flavors to combine. Cover with cling film and refrigerate overnight.
4. Preheat a barbecue to a medium direct heat.
5. Drain chicken and thread onto skewers, alternating with remaining mint leaves.
6. Cook the kebabs for 8 minutes, turning only once after around 4 minutes. Once cooked through (75°c), baste with the reduced cachaça syrup.
7. Serve with a fresh herb salad.
Was this guide useful?