The perfect way to preserve a bountiful blackberry harvest. Presented in a pretty kilner jar it makes a lovely gift.
Preparation: 10 mins
Cooking: 50 mins
Makes: 4 jars
- 900g blackberries, prepared weight
- 900g golden granulated sugar
- Knob of butter
- 1½ tbsp lemon juice
1. Pop the blackberries into a preserving pan or large heavy-based saucepan, add 50ml of water and the lemon juice, then bring to the boil.
2. Lower the heat and simmer for 15 minutes, until the fruit is soft.
3. Add the sugar and stir over a very low heat until it has completely dissolved. Raise the heat, bring to a full rolling boil, then rapidly boil the blackberries for 10-12 minutes. Be sure not to stir until the setting point of 105°C is reached.
4. Remove from the heat, skim off any excess scum, then stir a knob of butter across the surface. Leave for about 15 minutes so the fruit can settle.
5. Pour into sterilised jars, label and seal.
Was this guide useful?