Preparation: 20 mins
Cooking: 20 mins
- 250g dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids), broken into pieces
- 250g unsalted butter
- 250g caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 150g self-raising flour
- 250g beetroot, boiled until tender, peeled and grated
1. Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4. Grease a baking tin of approximately 20x30cm and line the bottom with baking parchment.
2. Melt the chocolate and butter together in a bowl over a pan of simmering water.
3. Whisk the eggs and sugar together in a bowl until combined, then beat in the melted chocolate and butter until smooth. Gently fold in the sieved flour, followed by the grated beetroot.
4. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and smooth over the top with a spatula. Bake for about 20 minutes. A knife or skewer pushed into the middle should come out with a few moist crumbs clinging to it.
5. Remove the tin from the oven and leave on wire rack to cool before cutting into squares.
Was this guide useful?