Beef Casserole Recipe
Beef and butter bean stew with smoked paprika - Serves 4
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 750g /1 ½lb diced chuck steak or stewing beef
- 1 large onion finely sliced
- 1 red pepper sliced
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp hot paprika (optional)
- 125ml / 4 fl oz red wine
- 1 x 400g chopped tinned tomatoes
- 1 x 400g tin butter beans
- 100g pitted black olives
- Brown sugar to taste
- 2 tbsp roughly chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large casserole dish.
- Fry the beef in the oil until lightly browned on all sides.
- Once browned, remove from the pan and set to one side.
- Add the remaining oil, onions and red pepper to the pan and fry over a low heat until softened.
- Once the onions are soft add the garlic, smoked paprika and hot paprika and fry for a further minute.
- Pour in the red wine and allow to come to the boil, then return the beef to the pan with the tomatoes. Place a lid on the pan and leave either on a low heat or in the oven set to 150oc/ gas mark 2 for 2-3 hours until the beef is tender.
- If the dish becomes a little dry during cooking add a little water.
- Once the beef is tender stir in the butter beans and olives.
- Cook for a further 2 minutes to allow the beans to warm through.
- Finally check and adjust the seasoning adding a little sugar if required.
- Stir in the chopped parsley just before serving.
- This stew can be made a few days in advance or frozen for up to three months. Serve with buttery mashed potatoes or wet polenta.