Asparagus, mangetout & lemon cous cous
A beautiful emerald-jewelled summer salad that’s quick to make but looks impressive and tastes delicious.
Preparation: 15 mins
Cooking: 25 mins
- 250g couscous
- 400ml vegetable stock
- 150g fresh asparagus spears
- 150g mangetout peas, sliced diagonally
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 6 spring onions, chopped
- 50g pine nuts, toasted
- 6 tbsp flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 3 tbsp mint, chopped
- Lemon slices
- Sprigs of mint and parsley
1. Measure the couscous into a large bowl.
2. Bring the vegetable stock to the boil. Cut the asparagus spears into 2.5cm lengths and add to the boiling stock with the mangetout. Cook until just tender but still with bite (about 3mins), then remove the pan from the heat.
3. Drain the veg through a colander, pouring the liquid directly onto the couscous.
4. Add some salt and pepper to the couscous, give it a stir, then cover and leave aside to cool.
5. Cool the asparagus and mangetout with some cold running water, then drain, dry and put aside.
6. When the couscous has absorbed all the stock, add the lemon juice and olive oil and fluff with a fork. Now add the spring onions, asparagus, mangetout, pine nuts, parsley and mint.
7. Toss again, add salt and pepper to taste.
8. Serve in an attractive bowl, garnished with slices of lemon and sprigs of mint and parsley.
Was this guide useful?