Decorating equipment buying guide
Decorating your home is an exciting time. Whether you’re updating cupboards or wallpapering an entire room, there are plenty of things to be done to give it that individual touch and make it feel like your own. Taking your time and doing a little planning to get the equipment you need will help you get the job done as quickly and easily as possible.
What equipment do I need?
There are a few basic things you’ll need. While each job will require its own specific tools and equipment, there are a few things that are always useful for any home improvement project.
- Dust sheet: This is essential when painting and decorating. These cover the floors and furniture in your room to protect them from getting soiled or covered in dust. Use Cotton dust sheets on the floor and plastic dustsheets on furniture
- Filling & stripping knife: These are great for removing wallpaper or filling imperfections from your walls and ceilings to ensure your end results are truly rewarded.
- Masking tape: A must have for any toolbox. Use this to hold down dust sheets and mask your skirting board and switches to make decorating easier. Depending on your project, you might want to consider standard or delicate masking tape to complete your task.
- Paint brushes: It’s important to have a good selection of quality paint brushes whenever you begin a decorating job. There are multiple sizes of brushes available dependent on the task in hand, but a 5 pack brush set should give a good selection for every painting task you wish to complete. Note that the better quality, will not only last longer, saving you money on future decorating tasks, but will give you a much better and finer finish.
- Paint rollers: Get large surface painting jobs done quickly and easily with a paint roller. The thickness of the sleeve is what you need to be looking for when it comes to surface texture, smooth for a fine flat finish, rough for use on textured walls/surfaces. There are mainly three types of roller available, Knitted Polyester, which is great for basic application, Woven Polyester which is great for all round quick application, and Micro-fibre which will provide an exceptional flat paint finish.
- Extension Pole: Make light work of painting your ceilings and walls with a roller extension pole for extra reach and less effort.
- Paint trays: If you’re using a paint roller, you’ll also need a tray. These are generally around 9 inches wide, alternatively if you purchase a complete kit, these contain the roller frame, sleeve and tray also.
- Wallpaper table: If you’re wallpapering instead of painting then you’ll need a sturdy table to keep things in order and make light work of the task in hand. A specially designed wall paper table will mean you have a reliable area to cleanly cut wallpaper to size and apply the paste.
- Paint and paste stirrer: Whatever job you’re doing, this practical product will let you mix easily. Many people use a stick instead of a dedicated stirrer, but this product will make for a better end result.
Give yourself head to toe protection when decorating with a disposable cover suit. They’re easy to wear and lightweight, and will keep your clothes protected.
Get all your paint & decorating supplies in one place with Homebase
Search through our wallpaper for your next project
Read our brief guide on how to paint walls and ceilings now
Head to our decorating hub and discover everything you need to transform a room
Was this guide useful?